There are a lot of stains that your carpet will face throughout its life. It is how you deal with them that determines how long the carpet remains in decent condition. Whether it is your child, your pet or perhaps your own self to blame, it pays to learn how to tackle the most common stains that occur in homes.
- Chocolate – chocolate is undoubtedly one of life’s greatest pleasures. If you love the sweet goodness in all its forms, perhaps you have dealt with chocolate stains in the past. Whether you find a fresh stain or one that has already melted on the carpet, the first thing you need to do is scoop up as much of it as possible. Vacuum any loose particles. Then, mix a quarter teaspoon of dish soap with a cup of warm water. Apply it on a cloth and work the fabric from outside of the stain moving in. Leave it for a few minutes and then blot it. If the stain is still present, repeat the process.
- Coloured drink – children love coloured drinks, but you will find them less amusing once you see such stain on the carpet. When you encounter such stain, blot up with a dry towel, to remove as much of the liquid as possible. Don’t scrub, as that would make the stain near impossible to remove. When you are done, mix water, vinegar and some soap in a spray bottle. Apply on the spot, let it sit for 10 minutes and then blot again with a dry towel.
- Blood – if someone gets hurt and blood ends up on the carpet, you needn’t despair. The trick is using cold water because the warm temperature will set the stain instead. Mix the water with a grease-fighting dish in a spray bottle. Apply on the stain, leave for 5 minutes and then blot. Repeat if necessary.
- Coffee – if you accidentally spill coffee on the carpet, you must act quickly. Thankfully, you don’t need any particular cleaning solution. As long as you blot the excess coffee, apply some water and blot again, the stain should be easy to remove. If it proves more difficult than that, you can use some shaving cream to lift it off.
- Chewing gum – chewing gum stuck on the carpet may seem like a big problem for you, but you can easily expel it. To do this, simply apply ice cubes to it till it hardens. Once it is hard enough, gently scrape it off the area with a dull knife or a spatula. Be careful not to tear the carpet fibres.
- Ink – addressing the stain quickly enough is the only way to remove ink from the carpet. Apply some rubbing alcohol on a clean towel and press it onto the stain. Leave it there half an hour and then rinse with water.
These are all common stains that your carpet will face. At least now you know how to address them so that they don’t cause any trouble.
At London Carpet Cleaners we are eager to teach you further carpet cleaning techniques. Check with us online or by calling 020 8626 7977.
© London Carpet Cleaners